Monday, October 23, 2006

Friendship

This last weekend I got to be a part of a big occasion in a friend’s life. My friend, Verlee who I have known for 16 years had her second daughter get married. She had asked me to do the flowers and do the wedding coordination for her and I gladly accepted. I love doing weddings. I enjoy the process of taking an empty room and putting the stamp or personality of the bride and groom in it. Creating atmosphere that is lovely to look, romantic. When I am finished I like to set the lights the way they will be that day and sit in the room all by myself and feel it. I really do feel it. There is no time the next day. People getting dressed and doing their hair and make-up. The kitchen begins to clang with preparations, caterers, dj’s doing their thing not to mention the family running around and expieriencing the emotions of the day.

This time a special treat was also helping Alex with pictures. I got the people he needed together for the shots. It was fun for me. I told him when he goes out on his own he should hire me. He said he would but was he just being sweet because I’m his Mom……. I wonder.

Actually we could go into buisness together. He could do the photography and I could do flowers and coordinate.
All sounds like fun.

Well back to friendship. I was thinking about all of this on the day following the wedding. I was getting ready for church and just running through it all in my head. Remembering the moments that stood out in my mind. Thinking about Ashley (the bride). Larry and I taught her in childrens ministry when she was 4. That is when I meet her parents and our friendship started. Also watching her Dad at the wedding. Knowing how much he adores his girls and how tender hearted he is. Once, just after pictures were finished and before the rush of guest started I looked in the sanctuary and there sat Barry.
All alone just looking at the platform where the ceremony would take place. At this point he had just seen his daughter in her wedding dress and what was about to take place was starting to set in.

I had to get something out of there or I would not have intruded on his moment. I just patted his shoulder and looked at his eyes. No words needed to be said. I knew how he was feeling and saw in his eyes the accumulated love of twenty something years all sitting just below the surface. I left and gave him his moment.

But as I was remembering all of this and how everything looked on that day. The most important thing from the last several days rose to the top.
It was how much I enjoyed being able to bless my friend. Just investing in her and her family.

When we were leaving Verlee and I hugged each other goodbye. We cried as she thanked me. I told her that I would do anything for her and she replied the same.
And the truth is we would. A friendship is a valuable thing.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Angelina said...

B-
Great post. Something that I have learned recently, and it makes so much sense. You don't have a relationship with people.(hear me out) You have time for people, and out of that time you spend with them is where the intimacy grows and a friendship builds. It's the same with our walk with Christ. How much time I spend with Him will determine the depth of my friendship, my intimacy with Him. Everything we do is all about time. I'm thankful that you had the time to devote to the Perkins' that day and always. You are a faithful friend to all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home